classes & groups
Breastfeeding Basics | $49
Breastfeeding is a natural, but also a learned art that takes time and patience. This 2.5 hour class is designed to support and educate expectant Moms and their partners about the benefits of breastfeeding, and give women the tools they need to successfully begin nursing their newborn. The course includes discussion of:
- the health benefits of breastfeeding for mom and baby
- basic anatomy and physiology of the breast
- care of the nursing Mom
- how to read baby’s cues
- how to initiate breastfeeding
- correct positioning and latch
- tips for problem solving
- bonding with your baby
- successfully locating community resources
Note: Support person or partner welcome.Private classes are available at a cost of $99.
All About Pumping | $49
For some moms the transition back-to-work after baby is a source of anxiety even before the baby arrives. For others, it seems to sneak up on you. Aside from managing the details of where & how your baby will be spending his/her day, wondering how to manage breastfeeding/pumping/bottle-feeding may seem like a big mystery. How will your know if you’re pumping enough? What kind of pump should you buy? How long can you freeze the milk? Does it go bad? Where will you store the milk while you’re at work? This class is here to provide you with the tools you need to help ease your mind about the details of becoming a breastfeeding mother working outside the home.
We’ll cover the following topics:
- Pumping: equipment, cleaning, fitting your pump
- Milk Supply: how much to pump, how much to store, increasing supply
- Bottlefeeding: when to start, how much to give, what kind of bottle
- Back-at-work: work environment – where/how often will you pump? dealing with co-workers
- Breastfeeding goals: meeting your own unique breastfeeding goals
- Working with your Employer to accommodate your needs as a breastfeeding/pumping mom
Notes: This class is geared towards mothers who have already had their baby or are expecting and have already taken a basic breastfeeding class and planning to breastfeed.
Bestfeeding Support Group
Do other women experience the joys and challenges of breastfeeding I am experiencing? Absolutely. One of the best ways to learn about breastfeeding is from other mothers. We offer a monthly drop in breastfeeding group facilitated by Certified Breastfeeding Educators. This group provides an ideal setting to ask questions and learn tips and tricks to make breastfeeding an enjoyable experience for you and your baby.