Become a MOTHERPATH certified Labor & Postpartum Doula
The Gathering Place has established itself as an essential resource not only for pregnant and new families in South Florida, but also for professionals and aspiring professionals interested in careers as doulas, lactation consultants, breastfeeding and childbirth educators and midwives. Over the last five years we have hosted a number of trainings including a variety of certification programs for birth and postpartum doulas. Providing doula services to all expectant families is a central part of what we offer at our center and through our non-profit Project Motherpath. We host trainings not only to grow the community of birth professionals locally but also to supply our own staff. We've observed over the years that because South Florida is such a unique and challenging environment for pregnant and birthing families, often there are gaps in traditional doula training programs that limit their ability to prepare doulas for birth climate here. We are incredibly excited to announce that we have created a doula certification program specifically designed to not only give new doulas a solid 4-day foundational training in the basics of being a birth and postpartum doula, but also includes 3-6 additional days of specialized training from our Doula Toolkit that we believe is absolutely critical for working with the diverse array of clients across South Florida and as part of The Gathering Place doula team.
Our training begins with 2 weekends (Saturday + Sunday) of core training followed by 3 or 6 days of training and discussion groups over the course of the following four months depending whether you select the Basic or Advanced Certification.
Specialization Courses / Basic Certification ($749):
- So You Attended a Doula Training Now What?
- They Are Not Alone I Maternal Mental Health and Postpartum Mood Disorders
- Eating for Two | Appropriate Nutritional Guidance for Pregnancy
- Avoiding Incompetence | Cultural Sensitivity and Social Justice in Birth
- Closing the Gap | A Maternal Child Health Primer for Doulas -
- It's Complicated | Managing VBACs, Multiples & Other Twists & Turns
- Grieving and Healing After a Traumatic Birth: Implications for Doula Care
- On the Spectrum | Caring for LGBTQIA Families
Specialization Courses / Advanced Certification ($1049):
- Aromatherapy for Birth
- Mother Massage 101
- Supporting all Options | Doula Care following Abortion
- When a Baby Dies | Providing Pregnancy & Infant Loss Support
- Pregnancy Birth & Postpartum Herbal Support
- It's Everybody's Baby | Understanding & Supporting Adoption
Our comprehensive 65-hour training program includes easy online access to program organizers via an online learning classroom, direct mentorship and community not only essential during the certification process but also as you get started as a new doula. Support will be provided for When you take a MOTHERPATH doula training you will not only benefit from the combined 50+ years experience of our trainers, but also from becoming part of The Gathering Place/ Magnolia Birth House family.
Registration requires a $475 non-refundable deposit. Once registered, you will receive a complementary copy of a book from our reading list as well as a code to register for our Breastfeeding Basics and Giving Birth with Confidence monthly workshops. Both classes should be attended prior to the first day of training. Balance of training cost is due within 21 days of training. Doulas have one year from the date of their training workshop to complete certification.
Core training is all 4 days. Each cohort is limited to 10. Our 2017 training dates are as follows:
- May 13-14th, 2017 and May 19-20th, 2017.
- July 22-23rd, 2017 and July 29-30th, 2017.
October 14-15th, 2017 and October 21-22nd, 2017.
Training & Certification Cost: $749.00 (basic), $1049.00 (advanced)